Words & Justice: Hiring a Literary Lawyer to Protect Your Creation
A literary lawyer works tirelessly to enable authors to retain the rights to their work throughout the publication process and beyond. If you’re owed royalties or someone else is trying to plagiarize your work and pass it off as their own creation, you’ll need a lawyer. Rather than relying on the support of your agent who will do whatever benefits their publishing house the most, you should hire a lawyer to fight your corner.
Choosing a Great Attorney
Selecting a good literary attorney requires that you understand the criteria that actually make for a lawyer worth hiring. Consider the top tips and pick a publishing attorney who’ll make sure that you get all the rewards you deserve for your writing prowess.
- The best literary attorney will have plenty of testimonials from satisfied clients who have had all their needs met in full.
- You probably know quite a few fellow writers, so you should take advantage of this connection and ask for their recommendations on the most effective publishing attorney.
- Always verify the credentials of any book publishing lawyer you encounter. You want to choose only the highly qualified and respected legal professionals.
The Fascinating Life of Your Book Publishing Lawyer
Believe it or not, your lawyer’s work life is probably a lot more exciting than most people realize. There have been some absolutely scandalous literary lawsuits over the years, and your lawyer might well have been right in the thick of it. Have a look at some of the most shocking cases below.
- Before she died, the elderly author of To Kill a Mockingbird was tricked into signing over the royalty payments to her agent. Fortunately, she was able to reclaim the rights with the help of her copyrights lawyers.
- Kathryn Stockett was sued for damages by her brother’s maid for allegedly appropriating her name and identity for a character in her book “The Help.” You’ve got to be really careful when making up characters who bear even a slight resemblance to people in your life.
How We Can Help You
Legal representation is incredibly important when it comes to securing your livelihood. Our expert lawyers can help you in a variety of useful ways, including our most common services below.
- Contracts between authors and publishers
- Contracts with ghostwriters and co-authors
- Electronic publishing rights
- Defamation and privacy issues
- International rights and other issues abroad
- Disputes with literary agents
Protect Your Rights at All Times
Hiring a great